A Century of Stories
The 81 On Seventh building was constructed in 1907 by E.J. Phelps, a local entrepreneur and public art advocate. Soon after the last brick was laid, Phelps sold to the Golden Rule Department Store across the street. The Golden Rule used 81 On Seventh as a showroom and storage facility until the 1930s or 40s.
When the Borg and Powers Furniture Company moved into 81 On Seventh, they added a fourth floor and second floor showroom windows. In the 1970s, the Northern Furniture Company took over the building. They remained a downtown fixture until 2002, when ownership changed hands again, to HFS Properties.
As the building approached its one-hundredth birthday, renovation began on 81 On Seventh. HFS Properties began restoration for the building’s new tenants with:
- Refinishing floors, beams and brickwork
- Adding energy efficient windows with historic style
- Building all new electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems
Sustainability Efforts (PDF)