81 On Seventh
81 On Seventh is a four (4) story office building consisting of 47,086 square feet (excluding lower level) in the heart of downtown St. Paul.
For further information, please contact Commerical Real Estate Services, Inc. at (651) 290-8890.
Recently restored inside and out, all the personality of this 1907 building has been preserved. It is constructed on a limestone foundation with:
- Heavy timber
- Douglas-fir columns, beams and joists
- High ceilings
- Exposed brickwork
- Tin stamped ceilings
- Wood floors
- Wide showroom windows
- Exterior brick
- Balconies on 3rd and 4th floor
Electrical wiring, plumbing, HVAC—it’s all brand new. The elevators, stairwells and restrooms have been replaced, too. New double-hung windows, trimmed in copper and Douglas-fir, are energy efficient and fully operable. A high-speed fiber network services the building. In addition, the building is connected to the State of Minnesota’s fiber system.
From new energy-efficient windows to salvaged construction materials, 81 On Seventh utilizes sustainable practices.
Building Materials Reuse (PDF)
“When Hardenbergh Foundation was looking for new office space, we knew immediately 81 On Seventh was the perfect fit for us. Its historic features along with modern amenities, security, cleanliness, access to parking and the skyway, and central location were ideal. The property management staff are knowledgeable and experienced and have been innovative in helping us meet our specific business needs. We are extremely satisfied with our move!”
-Tammy C., President and CEO of Hardenbergh Foundation
A cEntury of stories
81 On Seventh was constructed in 1907 by E.J. Phelps, a local entrepreneur and public art advocate. Soon after the last brick was laid, Phelps sold to The Golden Rule Department Store across the street. The Golden Rule used 81 On Seventh as a showroom and storage facility until the 1930s.
When the Borg and Powers Furniture Company moved into 81 On Seventh, they added fourth floor and second floor showroom windows. In the 1970s, the Northern Furniture Company took over the building. They remained a downtown fixture until 2002, when ownership changed hands again, to HFS Properties.
As the building approached its one-hundredth birthday, the new owners began restoration for the building with:
- Refinishing floors, beams and brickwork
- Restoring the original tin stamped ceilings
- Adding energy efficient windows with historic style
- Installing all new electrical, plumbing, HVAC systems, and elevators
- Updating technologies such as fiber, in addition the building is connected to the State of Minnesota’s fiber system